Documentation or examples

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM
Hi,

I find this project very interesting, but rather hard to hit the ground running as I found no examples of how to configure it, or no documentation. I erroneously assumed that it somehow followed the usage of the mentioned "ILMerge.MSBuild.Tasks" package and followed that dead end for a while before using error messages as my guide and stripping the config to a minimum I managed to make it merge my assemblies. The only config I'm using now is:
<ILMergeTransitive>false</ILMergeTransitive>
But what if I want to control what assemblies to merge, and what to name the output explicitly in the config instead of just relying on copylocal?
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM
Sorry for the delayed answer...

If you want full and total control over what/where/how is merged, you better remove references to .props and .targets files from your project file and call the MSBuild task dll directly or just use a post-build command file to call ILMerge.exe. This project was intended to provide "quick & reasonably clean" way of doing 95% of most common IL merges. More than that is, in my opinion, not practical - there are simply too many rare and wondrous ILMerge features to wrap, test and document. Anyway, if you want to combine multiple assemblies into an .EXE executable, Costura.Fody would be a better choice in most cases. Merging assemblies into a .DLL with fine-grained control over the merge details is a pretty niche case these days,